I have been carrying out a series of activities to present the results of my research to the public. Since I began working on the project in 2016, I have given public lectures and academic talks in different countries.
Recent and Upcoming Public Lectures
- Haas Astrid. “Canaan Limited: Canada in Slave and Neo-Slave Narratives.” Public Lecture in Honor of UK Black History Month. IBAR / MIDEX Seminar Series. University of Central Lancashire, 21/10/2020.
- Haas, Astrid. “Black Inter-American Mobilities and Autobiography in the Age of Revolutions (1760-1860).” English Department Lecture Series In Conversation / MIDEX Seminar Series. University of Central Lancashire, 11/12/2019. https://190.uclan.ac.uk/research/explore/assets/midex-summer-series.pdf See also the slides of this lecture: Intro Lecture Slides
Introduction to the Project
- Haas, Astrid. “Black Inter-American Mobilities and Life Narratives in the Age of Revolutions.” 1st Conference, Network Black Americas. Bielefeld University, Germany, 20/1/2017.
Indian Captivity Narratives
- Haas, Astrid. “Writing Back from Indian Country: Forms of Mobility and Resistance in The Life and Adventures of James P. Beckwourth,” 5th IAS Biennial Conference. University of Coimbra, Portugal, 22-24/3/2018.
- Haas, Astrid. “Briton Hammon’s Narrative of Indian Captivity.” 12th Biennial CAAR Conference. University of Málaga, Spain, 13/6/2017.
- Haas, Astrid. “Black Rights and Mobilities in African American Narratives of Indian Captivity.” 4th Biennial IAS Conference. University of California, Santa Barbara, USA, 4/10/2016.
- Haas, Astrid. “John Marrant’s Narrative of Indian Captivity.” 10th Biennial MESEA Conference. University of Warsaw, Poland, 23/6/2016.
- Haas, Astrid. “Inter-American Mobility, Abolitionist Mobilization, and Black Empowerment in the Interesting Narrative of Mahommah Baquaqua.” 2nd Conference of the Network Black Americas. Bielefeld University, Germany, 18-19/10/2018.
- Haas, Astrid. “Black, Muslim, Brazilian, Slave? Mahommah Gardo Baquaqua’s Interesting Narrative and Its Challenges to Latinidad in the 21st Century.” 36th LASA International Congress. Barcelona, Spain, 26/5/2018. See also a print version of the talk linked here: Baquaqua & Latinidad
- Haas, Astrid. “Mobilizing Missions: Nancy Prince’s Jamaican Sojourn in A Narrative of the Life and Travels of Mrs. Nancy Prince.” 43rd Annual SCS Conference, University of Central Lancashire, 3/7/2019.
Up to date, the research has not resulted in any publications.
For an overview of my research and publishing activities on other projects, see my website: Link to Website